Spinal adjustments are a common therapeutic technique used by chiropractors to improve spinal motion and physical function. There are many different types of spinal adjustments, including manual adjustments and table adjustments using special adjusting tables.
If you suffer from back pain, neck pain, poor posture, or limited spinal mobility, schedule an appointment with one of our experts to find out if spinal adjustments can improve your quality of life. We proudly serve patients from Charleston, West Ashley, James Island, Mount Pleasant and beyond.
How Do Spinal Adjustments Work?
Spinal adjustments, also known as spinal manipulations, form the core of chiropractic treatment. They involve the chiropractor applying controlled force to specific joints of the spine that have become misaligned. This procedure can be done manually, where the chiropractor uses their hands to apply pressure and realign the vertebrae, or through table adjustments, which involve specialized chiropractic tables equipped with drop mechanisms that aid the adjustment process.
Regardless of the method used, the goal of spinal adjustments is to improve spinal motion and your body’s overall physical function, reducing pain and promoting optimal health.
- Calmer, more balanced nervous system
- Improved posture
- Neck and back pain relief
- Increased overall sense of well being
Types of Spinal Adjustments We Perform
We use both traditional chiropractic techniques and advanced technologies from Chiropractic BioPhysics Technique to help our patients achieve pain relief and improved spinal health.
Manual adjustments are a hands-on technique that involves the chiropractor using their hands to apply a controlled, sudden force to a spinal joint. This technique is used to restore spinal alignment that may be compromised by misaligned bones or joints. Manual adjustments are often used to treat low back pain, neck pain, and headaches.
Table adjustments (flexion/distraction therapy)
Flexion/distraction therapy is a chiropractic technique that involves the use of a specialized table to gently distract or stretch the spine. The table moves in a rhythmic motion that allows the chiropractor to isolate the area of the spine that needs to be adjusted. This technique is often used to treat conditions related to the lumbar spine, such as lower back pain.
Unlike manual chiropractic adjustments, flexion/distraction therapy is a gentle and non-invasive technique that involves stretching and decompressing the spine to relieve pain and improve mobility.
The Cox Flexion/Distraction Adjusting Table offers a gentle, safe form of spinal manipulation using a special doctor-controlled device. It employs a series of gentle, rhythmic movements to stretch and decompress the spine, helping to alleviate pain and improve mobility.
The Omni Adjusting Table is a computerized table that uses a series of airbags to apply gentle pressure to the spine, helping to restore spinal alignment and improve mobility. It’s designed to accommodate all ranges of spinal correction, allowing for precise and effective adjustments.
Why Choose Axis Chiropractic?
At Axis Chiropractic, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality chiropractic care and spinal rehabilitation services. Here are some reasons why you should choose us for your chiropractic care needs:
- Personalized Treatment Plans: We take the time to understand each patient’s specific needs and develop personalized treatment plans that are tailored to their individual condition and health goals.
- Experienced Practitioners: Our founder Dr. Lee Russo has been a working Doctor of Chiropractic for nearly two decades, has extensive experience in multidisciplinary healthcare settings, and is certified in advanced chiropractic techniques, including Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP).
- State-of-the-Art Equipment: We use the latest equipment and technology, including the Omni Adjusting Table and Cox Flexion/Distraction Adjusting Table, to provide our patients with the most effective and comfortable treatments possible.
- Comprehensive Services: In addition to chiropractic care, we offer a range of services, including physiotherapy, functional rehabilitation exercises, and more, to help our patients achieve optimal spinal health and pain relief.
- Convenient Location: Our clinic is conveniently located in Charleston, SC, making it easy for patients to access our services and receive the care they need.
At Axis Chiropractic, we are dedicated to helping our patients achieve optimal spinal health and live pain-free. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
Ideal Candidates for Spinal Adjustments
Spinal adjustments, or chiropractic adjustments, can benefit people of all age groups, from children to seniors, and are equally effective for men and women. This non-invasive procedure can effectively manage a wide range of conditions, including:
- Back pain
- Migraine headaches
- Neck pain
- Pinched nerves
- Sports injuries
However, certain contraindications exist for spinal adjustments. Individuals with severe osteoporosis, inflammatory arthritis, or those who take blood-thinning medications might not be suitable candidates. Additionally, people who have had spinal surgery or suffer from certain types of cancer should consult their healthcare provider before opting for chiropractic adjustments. It’s essential to disclose your full medical history to your chiropractor to ensure this treatment is safe and beneficial for you.
What to Expect from Your Spinal Adjustment Session
At your first visit as a new patient, Dr. Russo or another member of our team will evaluate your spinal health and determine the appropriate technique for your specific needs and condition. They may take x-rays or perform other types of diagnostic testing.
They’ll then perform the spinal adjustment, which may involve manual adjustments or table adjustments using specialized equipment. After the adjustment, your chiropractor may recommend at-home exercises or other treatment modalities such as massage therapy to help maintain spinal health.
Cost of Chiropractic Treatments in South Carolina
The cost of spinal adjustments may vary depending on the individual’s specific needs and condition, as well as the location and provider. It is important to check with your insurance provider to determine if spinal adjustments are covered under your plan. Some chiropractors offer payment plans or other financing options to help make spinal adjustments more affordable. For more information about our rates, contact us.
At Axis Chiropractic in Charleston, SC, we specialize in an array of treatments aimed at promoting spinal health and overall wellness. We have a solution for everyone, whether you’re suffering from chronic back pain, postural issues, or simply looking to enhance your general wellbeing.
Here’s a closer look at some of the treatments we offer:
- Spinal Decompression: This is a non-surgical treatment that uses motorized traction to relieve back pain. It works by gently stretching the spine, changing its force and position. This change takes pressure off the spinal disks and promotes movement of water, oxygen, and nutrient-rich fluids into the disks so they can heal. If you’re dealing with persistent back or neck pain, sciatica, or bulging discs, spinal decompression can be an effective method of relief.
- Chiropractic BioPhysics Posture Correction: As the most researched and published chiropractic technique, Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) is designed to correct and restore your spine back to its normal alignment. CBP combines biology, physics, geometry, and anatomy to identify the causes of your pain, discomfort, loss of mobility, and altered health. If you’re suffering from poor posture or spinal alignment issues, this method can help restore your health and prevent further deterioration.
- Vibe Plate Vibration Therapy: This passive treatment uses mechanical vibrations to stimulate muscle contractions, increase blood flow, and improve balance and coordination. It’s an excellent complement to your chiropractic care plan, whether you’re recovering from an injury, looking to enhance athletic performance, or seeking a drug-free pain management solution.
Each of these treatments is unique in their approach to spinal health and wellness, offering a variety of benefits depending on your specific needs. To find out more about how these treatments could improve your life, don’t hesitate to reach out to Axis Chiropractic today.
Book a Spinal Adjustment Appointment in Charleston, SC
Spinal adjustments are a safe and effective way to improve spinal health and overall well-being. Whether you are seeking manual adjustments or table adjustments using specialized equipment, it is important to consult with a qualified chiropractor to determine the appropriate technique for your specific needs and condition.
If you’re in the Charleston, SC area, book an appointment today with Dr. Lee Russo at Axis Chiropractic to discover how spinal adjustments can improve your spinal health and overall well-being.
Is spinal adjustment painful?
Spinal adjustments are generally not painful, but some patients may experience mild discomfort or soreness after the adjustment. The adjustment itself may produce a popping sound or feeling, which is caused by the release of gas from the joint.
How long does it take to see results?
The length of time it takes to see results from spinal adjustments can vary depending on the individual’s specific condition and treatment plan. Some patients may experience immediate relief, while others may require several weeks or months of treatment to achieve optimal results.
Are spinal adjustments covered by insurance?
Spinal adjustments may be covered by some insurance plans, but coverage can vary depending on the individual’s specific plan and provider. It is important to check with your insurance provider to determine if spinal adjustments are covered under your plan. Some chiropractors may offer payment plans or other financing options to help make spinal adjustments more affordable.